shareaholic

f

vrijdag 23 januari 2015

Support liberté, wear Breton stripes!






In Yesterdays newspaper I read an interview with Shabir Burhani, a young radical Muslim from Afghan descent who is also a Public Administration student in the Netherlands. His views frightened me. Mr Burhani says (amongst other scary things) the attack on Charlie Hebdo was something they had coming, they were warned, they could have prevented it. He says this attack is to be recommended! This young man will soon be let loose on our society with a degree in Public Administration. It scares the hell out of me that people like him will have positions of power one day. Radicals will not stop targeting our freedom and democracy. They do not shun from violence. They hate our freedom of speech & print and they hate equality between man and woman. We have to take the threat these people constitute seriously and not dismiss them anymore as harmless lunatics in dresses (which has been the case in Holland for quite a long time)

OK. What is all this doing on a personal style and fashion blog?

At this point in my life I feel there is not much I can do but air my concerns online. Hang on! There is a long tradition of wearing specific clothes or adornments to express feelings, opinions, believes and causes to support. Only think of t-shirts with protest slogans... That is not really my style but a classic Breton Stripe is! The still relevant idea of Liberté, égalité, fraternité
(Freedom, equality, fraternity) can be expressed with Breton stripes! The traditional shirt counts 21 navy and white stripes which symbolize Napoleons conquests (I know it was quite someone else who came up with the tripartite motto, but that is not the point here). Later it was added to the official sailors uniform and then it was picked up by Chanel. We all know the story. And we all own at least one Breton Striped top; it has become a staple item in our wardrobes. So it won't be difficult to do this:

I declared my classic Amor Lux Breton Jumper a support top. I support freedom of speech, democracy and equality! I suggest you do the same. It's no trouble!
Maybe take a selfie and post it on Facebook, Instagram and all the other social media. I know I will (with this post)

Furthermore, to commemorate the victims of this vicious attack I think we should all wear Breton Stripes on the 7th of January next year! I know I will and I will post about it again then. Join Breton Stipe Day!


Will you join me?

See you next time,


Irmin










1 opmerking:

  1. I"m all for freedom of speech … and stripes! Thanks for much for joining FUN FASHION FRIDAY! Hope to see you next week!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...