shareaholic

f

maandag 11 mei 2015

My Great British Love affair: sulphur yellow trousers & pink tasseled pumps


Boden Chelsea turn ups
Boden Chelsea turn ups
White summer blouse
Alice mid heel
Do you know Wallace and Gromit? The BBC broadcasted 'the wrong trousers' a couple of days ago again. I so love Nick Park's animation films. These are very clearly not the wrong trousers but the right trousers! Even before I lived in the UK I had a unexplainable love of all things British. When I moved to London to go the Royal College of Art in the mid-nineties, I felt at home immediately. Moving back to Holland four years later was very hard indeed and is has taken me good while to get adjusted to Dutch life again. My life in the Netherlands has turned out really brilliantly though and I have hung on to some British things over the last decade (PG-tips, BBC, English literature, fashion and style)

The use of colour in the UK is very different from the way the Dutch use colour (my thesis at college was about the difference in domestic architecture between the two countries and the subsequent difference in interior/colouring tastes) This sulphur mustardy yellow colour is slighty off in Dutch eyes, it's too dirty, it has a greenish undertone that makes it too 'difficult' from a Dutch perspective. I like these trousers and their weird colour because of their Britishness. They are from Boden, like the shoes, I doubt if anyone in blog-O-sphere hasn't heard from them! I like the fact that these trousers are a classic chino but with a very British tailoring like you see in men's suits (I have worked in an antiquarian bookshop in the City and have made a bit of a study of suits. Honestly you can spot a Dutchman from a mile of in the City! Slouchy suit with a Helly Hansen coat, yuk!)
Back to said trousers. They are not too wide, not too slim but exactly right in a lovely slightly stretchy fabric (no knees sticking out after sitting in them and my arse stays covered when I bend) etc, you get the picture. Perfect trousers!

As for the 'problem' of what to wear them with, I do not find them remotely difficult to style: I will team these trousers with white, cream, bright pink, navy or black. Today I'm wearing them with a cute star-printed blouse with fluorescent pink details from a Danish brand, Lollys Laundry (I do happen to have a huge crush on Danish Design as well)
The shoes. Do I actually need to mention them? These Alice Heels from Boden were plastered all over Instagram and Bloglovin and that's how I found them and fell in love with them. If you follow me on Instagram (fashionsabbatical) you might have seen them arrive on April 29th. Aren't they fun?
One of my aunts was worried I wouldn't be able to walk in them but I must say that they are sturdier then they look and I just love love love them!

In London I saw a lot of houses with wisteria growing all over at the front. I've always liked that idea very much so I planted one when we bought our house 5 years ago.The combination of the light purple flowers with the red front door looks a bit British to me somehow. And it's a clever way to hide the hideous concrete lintel above the door (must speak to the architect about this: what was he thinking!?) The photo's turned out a bit vague (I could call it dreamy...) and my apologies for that. I still struggle with focusing.
self portrait photography
Blouse: Lollys Laundry (nearly exact)
Trousers: Boden (exact)
Shoes: Boden (exact)
Earrings: Vintage
Make-up bag: Clinique


Do you have a great love affair when it comes to clothes? Brit Chic, Parisian or Scandinavian?

Let me know in the comments!

See you next time,


Irmin


(I enjoy regular link ups with Fashion Should Be FunVisual MondayElegantly Dressed & StylishRachel the Hat and Style Nudge)




12 opmerkingen:

  1. I really love a mustard yellow. Lovely pairing with the Boden pink shoes. I have seen these on several people and wish I could wear a heel! I will live vicariously through yours :-)

    Thanks for linking up with Turning Heads Tuesday!
    jess xx

    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks Jessica, it's a low heel, I can't really walk on very high heels anymore ( oh dear, age showing!) and most days I wear flats which I like more and more. Do you know the Britsh blog Enbrogue? It's all about the flat shoe.

      Verwijderen
  2. What a neat outfit! I can imagine there are quite a few difference in color between the countries. As for fashion, I am more about what I love than just what others like.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks for visiting and leasing a comment! I agree, what you love is the first and most important thing and sometimes you like something on others but wouldn't wear it yourselves.

      Verwijderen
  3. So pretty and eye catching! Loving this look on you!
    Thanks for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday & have a fab weekend!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. OMG Wallace & Gromit are the best thing ever!!! I love the Were-Rabbit movie :) and I do believe those slacks of yours are quite the cat's pajamas.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. These colors together - and the shoes - are magical! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Found your blog theru Visible Monday. Great outfit. Perfect! Can you link it up here to the Top of the World Style linkup party? Thanks http://highlatitudestyle.com/2015/05/14/jill-e-review-linkup/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Stopping by from Visible Monday to tell you have great the fit of your pants are and how I adore your combination of colors.

    Glenda
    http://sowhattotwenty.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Love the color of your pants! Cool pumps too - such a fab choice!

    Alena & http://garmentsspeech.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...